Ideas for baskets :
Baskets - all shapes and sizes
Bucket - ice, plastic or garden
1. Use a large terra cotta plant pot for a "basket". If you like, you can personalize the pot by painting it with acrylic paints. When the paint is dry, spray a light coat of polyurethane over the pot to add a shine.
Fill the pot with : gardening gloves - hand trowel - hand rake - a selection of vegetable and/or flower seeds (go for something unusual) - bottle of liquid fertilizer - a gardening book - a subscription for a gardening magazine
2. Use a large pasta bowl for a "basket".
Fill the bowl with: - a package or two of gourmet pasta - tongs or pasta grabber - a package of sun-dried tomatoes - extra-virgin olive oil - spices: oregano, basil, garlic powder - a collection of your favorite pasta recipes hand-printed on recipe cards and/or a pasta cookbook - Fancy olives - Jar of gourmet sauce
3. For the golfer, fill a basket or a golf bag with : golf tees - golf balls - a baseball cap - sunscreen
- score cards - a small towel - a can cooler to keep a can of pop or beer cold. Of course, don't forget to personalize the towel or baseball cap - you can stitch on them, use fabric paints, etc.
4. Wine appreciation basket.
Use a wine cooling bucket with:
Wine Glasses - Two bottles of quality wine, one red, one white - corkscrew - Wine appreciation book - tickets or an invitation to a wine tasting (often held at wine specialty shops or wineries)
Extras: add snacks to go with the wine : Fine cheese, fruit, crackers, etc.
5. For the dog lover. Fill the a large dog bowl or pet bed with: squeaky toy - dog biscuits - dog brush - dog collar - leash - Rawhide bone - Dog shampoo
Dogs come in all sizes so make sure you are buying for the right size dog. Also if it is for a puppy, chewy stuff is the best
6. For the crafter. Use a rubber storage container for a "basket" Fill the container with: glue gun and glue sticks - acrylic paints - assorted brushes - a craft knife. other craft supplies such as beads, pompoms, wood sticks, buttons, stickers, dried flowers, etc. craft patterns or how-to books
7. Fill a square basket with: - note cards - envelopes (choose a variety of sizes) - note paper
- letter opener - a pen or a pen and pencil set - a personalized seal and some sealing wax - personalized return address labels
8. For the shutterbug.
Fill a basket or a camera bag with: - assorted film - coupons for picture developing - filters for his/her camera - lens cleaning solution and cloth - assorted picture frames and/or albums
9. How about a relaxation pack. Fill the basket with: a gel eye-pack - Epsom salts or bubble bath - aroma therapy oils - scented candles - books on tape (to listen to in the bath) - a hand-held massager - relaxing music on CD or cassette - Pumice stone - Washcloths, scrubber or loofah sponge - Back cleaning brush - Rubber ducky
10. Kids Coloring Kit. Fill a rubber/plastic storage box with: crayons (get the big package with tons of colors) - assorted papers, include a variety of colors and textures - coloring books - assorted stickers - a paint box and brushes - colored pencils - Nontoxic markers - Safe scissors
11. For the sports enthusiast, use a sports helmet or hat as a "basket" (e.g. baseball cap, football helmet, etc.). Fill the helmet or hat with: - sports cards - baseball, puck, etc. - shoe, boot or skate laces
for the hockey player, add: lace tightener and some tape
for the baseball player, add: mineral oil, batting glove and gum - a sports video - a subscription to a sports magazine - a poster of their favorite player
12. For the new home owner. Use a tool box as a "basket". Fill the box with: screw drivers - wrench - hammer - pliers - Do-it-yourself Home Repair book - super glue - assorted nails, screws, washers - Slot and Phillips - Vice Grip Pliers - gift certificate for the local hardware store - assorted odds and ends like: light switch covers, light bulbs, duct tape, paint brushes, knobs and handles, etc.
13. For the guitar player. Fill the basket with: tuning fork - sheet music - CDs or cassettes of great guitar players - guitar strings - electronic tuner - lesson books - Assorted guitar picks - Tuning pipe or electronic tuner - Capo - Polishing rag - Guitar polish
14. For the soap opera fan. Fill the basket with: - tissues - bonbons - soap opera magazines - biographies of their favorite stars - pictures of their favorite stars - blank video tapes
- fan club membership
15. Create a winter fun pack. Fill a touque with: lip balm - moisturizer - mittens - hot packs - a pass to the local ski hill - hot chocolate
Extras: add a crazy carpet or a sled (although it won't actually fit inside the "basket", you can present it on the side).
16. For someone who is into new age. Fill a basket with: tarot cards - crystals - scented candles - incense - new age music on CD or cassette - certificates for palm reading, psychic reading, etc. - books
17. For grandparents who are far away. Use a basket or reusable container with : Scrapbook - children's artwork - gifts made by the kids (see our craft projects for ideas) - frames family pictures (let the kids buy plain wooden frames and decorate them with stickers) - videos of the family - a long-distance calling card - Polar fleece lap blanket
Extras: fill out the basket with candy, coffee, tea, biscuits, Handmade Christmas ornaments, candles, etc.
18. For the craft enthusiast, how about a project in a "basket". Fill a basket or a rubber/plastic box with: grape vine wreath - dried flowers - pine cones - hot glue gun and glue sticks - wreath hanger - ribbon
19. For the one who loves their car. Fill a basket or a bag with: tire gauge - litre (or gallon) of oil - wax - chamois - car wash coupons - squeegee for the windows - mileage log and pen - travel mug
20. The sundae basket. Fill a basket with: ice cream scoop - gourmet sauces - sprinkles cones - maraschino cherries - assorted nuts - sundae glasses and spoons - coupons for gourmet ice cream
21. Fill a gold fish bowl with: fish food - aquarium gravel - net - gift certificate for fish from pet store - book about care of gold fish
22. Use a cookie tin for a "basket". Fill the tin with: - your favorite cookie recipes or a cook book - cookie cutters - chocolate chips - nuts - decorator icing set - assorted sprinkles
23. Here's a rainy day basket. Fill a basket with: - deck of cards - cribbage board - find-a-word and/or crossword books and pencil - herbal tea - tea cup
24. Accessories formen. Fill an overnight bag with: - socks - underware - belt - tie - tie clip - handkerchiefs - wallet - watch
25. For the shop-aholic. Fill a basket with: cushioned insoles - directories for local malls - gift certificates (get a lot of small ones for different stores) - tote bag to carry home purchases - parking pass - list of babysitters or volunteer to babysit - coupons
26. Create a comedy pack. Fill a basket with: deck of trick cards - whoopi cushion - chattering teeth - joke books - comedy movies, cassettes or CDs - tickets to a comedy club
37. For the woodworker. Fill a basket or rubber/plastic box with: assorted sandpapers - chisels
- router bits - saw blades - files - varnishes - brushes - paints - patterns and/or instructions
28. For the computer buff. Fill a basket with: mouse pad - diskettes - novelty or personalized disk labels - anti-static wristband - travel mug (so that things won't spill on the computer)
- a list of your favorite Web sites
29. Create a salon pack. Fill a basket with: salon shampoo and conditioner - hair brush and/or combs -barrettes - combs - scrunchies - clips, bows, pins, twists, etc. - book on hair styles
30. Fill a stew pot or pottery casserole dish with. Fill the pot with: assorted dried beans: kidney, black, white, navy, pinto, etc. - dried red chili peppers - chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, cilantro - chili recipes - ladle - oven nits
46. For the teenaged girl. Fill a purse with: a wallet (you can even start it off with a little cash) - key chain - lipstick holder - purse sized perfume atomizer - purse sized hair brush and mirror
32. For expectant parents. Fill a baby's bath tub with: hooded towel - wash cloth - rubber ducky - baby shampoo - baby powder - baby lotion - terri sleeper
33. For those who make their own wine or beer. Fill a box with: wine or beer kit - empty bottles - personalized or novelty wine/beer labels - beer caps or wine corks - caper - recipes
34. For the skier or Snowboarder's :
Fill a small pack or canvas bag or tote bag with: lip balm - sunscreen - goggles - scarf - ski pass - wax - Gloves, mittens and/or warm hat - Hot packs - Moisturizer - Pass to the local ski hill -
Hot chocolate - Ski, snowboard or sled waxes
35. For the executive or the home-office owner. Fill a briefcase with: daytimer - business card holder (one for the wallet, one for the desktop) - pen and pencil set - newspaper subscription
- shoe polish - reference books - desk calendar - coffee mug
36. Create a New Year's Eve party pack. Fill a basket with: champagne - glasses - party hats - noise makers - sparklers - confetti - balloons - party invitations
37. For the crochet or knitting enthusiast. Fill a basket with: assorted needles or crochet hooks
- assorted patterns - buttons - ribbons - personalized "made by" labels - wool
38. For the writer. Fill a basket with: lined note pads - an engraved pen - reference books (dictionary, thesaurus, quotes, how-to books) - pocket tape recorder and tapes - style guide
newsletter or magazine subscription - books about how to get published
39. For the music groupie. Fill a basket with: fan club membership (look for their favorite musician on the Web, many bands now have online fan clubs which also sell tickets, posters, t-shirts and more) - CDs, cassettes of their favorite group - posters of their favorite group - biographies - sheet music - tickets to a concert -band t-shirts
40. Create a night out in a basket. Fill a basket with: list of babysitters or coupons for babysitting - restaurant guide and/or gift certificates - movie reviews and/or tickets or, tickets to a show or a concert - cab fair - lighted key chain
41. For the mystery lover. Fill a deer stalker hat with: mystery novels - mystery game for computer - magnifying glass - puzzles or brain teaser books - how-to-host a mystery game
42. For the hiker, use hiking boots as a "basket". Fill with: maps - rain poncho - bear bells or repellant - trail mix - compass - first aid kit for hikers
43. For the vegetarian. Fill a basket, pot or large bowl with: your favorite recipes hand-printed on recipe cards - assorted dried beans - brown rice - sun dried tomatoes - spices: oregano, thyme, basil, garlic powder, etc. - mixing spoons - pot holders
44. For the cowboy at heart. Fill a cowboy hat with: bolo tie - western belt buckle - boot protector - gift certificate for country dancing, horseback riding, rodeo, etc.
45. For someone who like to walk or jog, fill a tote bag with: pedometer - sweat band - tapes and batteries for the Walkman - shoe laces - sport socks - personal alarm - t-shirt - water bottle in a shoulder or waist holder
46. Use a cosmetic bag for a "basket". Fill the bag with: nail polish - emery boards - nail clippers - nail brush - cuticle remover - nail file - nail polish remover - cotton balls
47. For the couch potato fill a large basket or box with: assorted bags of flavored popcorn
other snacks like chips, nuts, candy - pre-recorded movies - TV Guide subscription - TV Remote holder - Comfortable slippers - Cushion
48. Create astock-the-bar package. Fill an ice bucket with: shot glasses - bottle opener - cork screw - maraschino cherries - cocktail napkins - jar of olives - fancy toothpicks or cocktail umbrellas - bar guide
49. For the crafter, fill a rubber/plastic container with: small terra cotta plant pots - flexible stencils - acrylic paints - stencil tape - brushes - spray polyurethane - seeds to plant when pots have been decorated
50. Make a kid's beach pack. Fill a plastic pail with: plastic shovel - sand molds - beach ball or plastic floatation device (deflated) - beach towel - flip-flops - sunglasses - sunscreen for kids
- bathing suit
51. For someone who takes road trips, fill a tote bag with: maps - travel mug - sunglasses - hotel coupons - tire gauge - beaded seat cover - travel games - recorded music on cassette or CD -
car air freshener
52. For the musician. Fill a decorative can with: reeds/strings/drum sticks/mouthpiece - appropriate for the instrument they play - sheet music - valve oils for brass instrument players
instrument strap - electronic tuner - metronome - recorded music of their favorite artists
53. For someone who likes to BBQ, use an apron with pockets for a "basket". Fill the apron pockets with: marinade recipes - BBQ sauce - BBQ tools - packages of meat tenderizer - skewers - gift certificate for the local butcher
54. For the collector: Fill a basket with: reference books - items they collect - display cases, books, etc. - cleaning supplies (special polishes, oils, brushes, etc.) - tickets to a collectibles show
55. Create a bachelor's survival kit. Fill a laundry basket with: laundry guide - cook book featuring easy meals like casseroles - roll of quarters and some laundry soap - take-out pizza coupons - an iron - room deodorizer - any other cleaning supplies - food staples like macaroni dinners, canned tuna, canned soup and, of course, beer!
56. For someone who like to walk or jog, fill a tote bag with: - pedometer - sweat band - tapes and batteries for the Walkman - shoe laces - sport socks - personal alarm - tshirt - water bottle in a shoulder or waist holder
57. For just about anyone: Fill a basket with: teddy bear - coffee mug - hot chocolate mixes
- bedtime story books
58. For the student or the home-office owner, use a rubber garbage can as a "basket". Fill the can with: stapler - tacks, paper clips, pens, pencils - notepads - hole punch - desk lamp - desk calendar - Printer paper and supplies - Mouse pad - Yummy healthy snacks - Book light
59. For the cat lover. Fill a cat bowl or pet bed or cat basket with: food and water dishes - collar
- catnip ball - rubber ball, rubber mice or other cat toys - book on cat care - Catnip Mouse or other cat toy - Hair ball paste - Cat treats - Cat Brush - Scratching post - Gourmet cat food
60. Create a Christmas Decorating basket. Fill a basket with: nativity set - assorted Christmas ornaments (store bought or hand-made by you) - decorative lights - candles
61. Make a basket full of puzzles. Fill a basket with: Rubic's cube - 3D puzzle - jigsaw puzzle - word-search book - crossword puzzle book - slider puzzles - and any other puzzles you can find
62. For someone who sews, fill a sewing basket with: needles - assorted threads (stick to basic colors: black, white, navy, cream) - pins - thimble - pin cushion - measuring tape - tracing wheel and paper - sewing club membership
63. For someone who likes to lounge in the sun, use a sun hat as a "basket". Fill the hat with: sunscreen - sunglasses - lemonade mix - novel
64. Create a gadget collection, for someone who is moving away from home, getting married or moving into a new home.
Fill a canvas onion bag with: garlic press - can opener - jar opener - paring knife (carefully wrapped) - strawberry huller - egg slicer - cheese slicer - mixing spoons - measuring spoons and cups - egg timer - grater
65. For the wood shop owner use a shop apron as a "basket". Fill the apron with: safety glasses - wood glue - sandpapers - measuring tape - paint brushes - shop magazines - woodworking patterns
66. For the fisherman use a tackle box as a "basket". Fill it with: assorted lures - leaders
pliers - gloves - guide to local fishing
67. For baby Fill a basket with: rattle - bib - story book - stuffed animal - sleeper
68. Create a women's accessories basket. Fill a basket with: a silk scarf - scarf clip - earrings - belt - broach - necklace - perfume - evening purse
69. For cyclists use a cycling helmet as a "basket". Fill it with: cycling gloves - water bottle - reflectors - sunglasses - odometer - patch kit
70. For the aquarium owner, use a decorative tin for a "basket". Fill the tin with: fish food - book about aquarium maintenance - algae magnet (you run the magnet up and down the outside of the tank to remove algae inside the tank) - a net - thermometer - ornaments - gift certificate for fish
71. For someone who likes games, fill a basket with: decks of cards - dice - poker chips - poker - rule book - pocket electronic games - plane tickets to Vegas
72. For the painter: Fill a decorative tin with: paints (acrylic, water color or oil) - brushes - paper or canvas - charcoal
73. For someone who bakes use a cake pan as a "basket". Fill the pan with: pot holders - decorative frosting set - assorted sprinkles and nuts - baking recipes - cake server
74. For someone who travels by plane a log. Fill a travel bag with: travel pillow - travel alarm - flight schedules - gum - magazines or novels - toothbrush
75. Create a Christmas box. Fill a decorative Christmas box or tin with: assorted home-baked cookies - assorted chocolates - Christmas ornaments (better if you made them yourself) - pre-recorded Christmas music - tuck in some candy canes or foil wrapped chocolate Santas for a finishing touch
76. Create a night in, in a basket. Fill the basket with: - wine - wine glasses - pre-recorded movie - candle - candle holder - romantic pre-recorded music - appetizers: cheese and crackers, olives, something you've made yourself
77. For the crafter, create a project in a box. Use a rubber/plastic storage box as a "basket". Go to our Christmas craft project list and select a project you like. Use your Browser's PRINT function to print out the instructions and any patterns that accompany them. Purchase all of the materials need to complete the project and put them in the box.
77'. Crafters Gift Basket. Use a rubber storage container with: Glue gun and glue sticks - Acrylic paints - Assorted brushes - Craft knife - Craft supplies - Craft patterns or how-to books - Craft papers - Scissors
78. Create a kid's bath set. Fill a basket with: bubble bath - no-tears shampoo and conditioner - bath crayons (they let kids write on the tub or the wall, then they wash off) - bath toys - bath mit or decorative face cloth - printed towel - robe - slippers
79. For the teenaged girl, fill a cosmetic bag or cosmetic tray with: - assorted makeup in the latest fashion colors: lipstick, blusher, eye liner, mascara - cotton swabs - makeup sponges - nail polish in the latest colors - nail file - facial cleanser - facial moisturizer - eye makeup remover
80. For the computer game player. Fill a decorative box with: membership to an online gaming WWW site - computer game CDs - joy stick - mousepad - shareware games on diskette
81. For campers, use a backpack as a "basket". Fill the backpack with: tent pegs - compass
- sharpening stone - mosquito repellant - tent patch kit - campers cook set - utility knife of swiss army knife - campground guides
82. For thelover of spicy foods, use a chili pot as a "basket". Fill it with: spices: cayenne pepper, black pepper, white pepper, dried red peppers, chili powder, paprika - hot sauces like chili sauce
salsas - hot pickles (pick them up from an Asian food store) - fresh peppers - pepto bismal recipes
83. For the sci-fi fan. Fill a basket with: Science fiction novels - sci-fi movies - collectible figures (you know, the plastic ones modelled after TV and movie sci-fi characters) - Spock ears - books about their favorite shows or authors - tickets to a sci-fi convention
84. For the engaged couple fill a basket with: wedding planner - unity candle - garter - cake knife - honeymoon travel information or tickets - wedding decorations - wedding album
85. For someone who works out at the gym fill a tote bag : towel - water bottle - workout tapes or magazines - power bars - sports drinks - sports socks - gym membership
86. For adults only. Fill a basket with: scented candles - massage oil - lingerie - wine - wine glasses
87. For the jigsaw puzzle lover. Fill a basket with: jigsaw puzzle - puzzle mat - coffee mug - magnifying glass - gourmet coffee
88. For the naturalist. Fill a knapsack with: binoculars - bird watching guide or wildlife or wildflower guide - log book and pen - maps - trail mix
89. A small twist on the usual coffee gift basket. Fill a basket with: gourmet coffees - coffee mugs - novels - chocolates - decorative bookmark (why not make one yourself) -
90. For someone who ison their feet all day, use a rubber tub as a "basket". Fill the tub with:
epsom salts or bubble bath - towel - pumice stone - foot lotion or foot powder - comfortable slippers - nail clippers
91. Create a kid's craft kit. Fill a rubber/plastic storage box with: coloured paper - crayons
stickers - pipe cleaners - buttons - pom-poms - white glue - kid scissors - wooden shapes -
wobbly eyes - kid sized craft apron - sparkles
92. For little students fill a children's lunchbox with: pencil toppers - decorated pencils - colored pencils - rulers - plastic stencils which let them draw stars, circles, etc. - stapler - children's scissors - water bottle in a shoulder or waist holder
93. For someone who likes needlepoint fill a basket with: patterns - canvas - assorted thread - needles - thimble - frames for finished work
94. For the movie buff, fill a basket with: pre-recorded movies - movie soundtracks on CD or cassette - batteries for the remote control - head cleaner for the VCR - movie tickets or gift certificates - popcorn
95. For someone who like to walk or jog, fill a tote bag with: pedometer - sweat band - tapes and batteries for the Walkman - shoe laces - sport socks - personal alarm - t-shirt - water bottle in a shoulder or waist holder
96. For the electronics hobbyist. Fill a plastic box with: resistors - capacitors - wire - pliers - soldering iron and solder - light bulbs - LED lights - printed circuit boards - project books - wire cutters - electrical tape
97. For the chocolate lover. Fill a basket with: chocolate cookies (home baked is best) - chocolate bonbons - chocolate sauces - chocolate syrup - chocolate dipped coffee spoons (see the instructions in our project sections) - Hot chocolate mix - chocolate covered coffee beans - chocolate flavored coffee beans - chocolate recipes
98. For the young at heart. Fill a basket or a small toy box with: - silly putty - assorted magnets
- magnifying glass - yo-yo - paper airplane kit - kite - kaleidoscope - puzzles
99. For the health food buff. Fill a basket or a mixing bowl: brown rice (in a bag tied with a ribbon or in a glass jar) - other grains like quinoa, spelt, bulgur, etc. - all natural candy bars
- tofu in aseptic packages (so it doesn't need refrigeration) - assorted dried beans (black, black-eyed peas, chick peas, lima beans, Java beans, etc.) - assorted spices - all natural skin and body care products (find them at your local health food store)
100. For the someone who never has enough time. Fill a basket with: coupons for your babysitting time - cookbook featuring meals in 30 minutes or less - daytimer to help them organize their time more efficiently - watch - information about or coupons for a shopping service which will do their shopping for them - coupons for other time saving services like dry-cleaning, tailoring, take-out food, car washes, etc.
101. Create a Chinese food "basket". Fill a basket a wok with: Chinese tea set - package of green tea - cook book - cleaver - chop sticks - package dried black mushrooms - bottle of soy sauce
- other sauces like plum sauce, Szechwan sauce, teriyaki sauce, etc.
102. Gardener's Gift Basket. Use a clay plant pot, bucket or watering can with : Gardening gloves - Hand tools - Vegetable, flower seeds - Liquid fertilizer - Kneeling pad - Gardening book - Subscription for a gardening magazine - Plant markers - Heavy Duty Hand Lotion
103. Photographer's Gift Basket. Use a basket or a camera bag with: Film - Coupons for picture developing - Camera Filters - Lens cleaner - Lens cloth - Photo print paper - Picture frame and matte - Picture Album
104. Holiday Entertainment. BasketUse a nice holiday basket with: Holiday Napkins - Holiday Plates - Holiday Cups - Whole Mixed Nuts - Nutcracker - Cookies or baked goods - Holiday floral picks or ornaments for decorating - Cheese ball or Sausage stick and crackers
Fillers for Your Baskets :
Once you have obtained your items here are some fillers to put around them: coloured cellophane "grass" - crumpled tissue paper - Piece of fabric - Shredded paper, newspaper or colored paper - Straw - Easter basket grass - Tissue paper or newspaper comics - Raffia - Colored towels or cloth napkins - Cedar shavings
Finish up by tucking in:
For Christmas : candy canes - foil wrapped chocolate Santas - other foil wrapped candies - small pine cones - a bunch of cinnamon sticks tied with red ribbon - Christmas ornaments - lots of small bows - mandarin oranges - nuts in the shell - small scented candles - Christmas baking (wrapped in cellophane) - Candles - scented or unscented, votive, tea lights or tapers - Pine cones - Cinnamon sticks tied with red ribbon - Greenery : spruce, pine, cedar, holly branches
For any occasion : Potpourri - Hot cider, special tea bags, special coffee or cocoa mixes - Mandarin oranges, tangerines, oranges or apples - Unshelled nuts or packets of roasted nuts -
Wrapped candy or baked goods - Small toys or puzzles - Sample hand creams - Lip gloss or Chap-stick
Wrapping Your "Basket"
"Baskets" that are in actual baskets do not need to be wrapped, but if you wish, you can wrap them in cellophane. Simply gather the cellophane around the basket and tie at the top with ribbon.
This method also works for "baskets" made with hats, boxes, bowls, pots, plant pots, etc.
Decorative boxes and tins usually can stand alone without wrapping.
Rubber storage containers can be wrapped in cellophane as above or can be wrapped with wrapping paper.
Some "baskets" like tote bags, backpacks, shopping bags, etc. are best left unwrapped. Instead, finish them with colourful bows and ribbons.